WIP srp_interstellar - New Spacebuild + GlobalRP/Factions + SeriousRP map!

philxyz

VIP / Awesome Person
Hi All,

I'll let you all in on a little secret. I'm making a new Spacebuild RP map called srp_interstellar

The SRP part stands for "Space RP" because the map is designed for Spacebuild, GlobalRP/SB Factions and SeriousRP (WIP)

There are 7 planets:

1 Large Alien Planet with plenty of building room and rocks to mine
1 Large Human Planet with plenty of building room and rocks to mine
2 Barren planets with rocks for the taking (when running as a GlobalRP/Factions game) - one is medium sized, one is slightly smaller than medium sized one
3 RP Planets - RP Maps as planets! 3 RP games occurring on separate planets at the same time with the ability to space-travel to other RP planets or worlds.

Estimated time until release assuming all goes well: probably no more than 2 or 3 weeks max unless I get into difficulties.

Hammer is playing up a bit but I'm getting there. I normally use Linux but I put Windows 7 on an old PC so I can map using that. I'm thinking this map is going to use ep2 trees on the human planet.

In other news: Leaving an organization when there are no more workers in that organization causes it to go out of business. That required ages of debugging but it means I can move on further with SeriousRP itself.

It will be my first map but I know about things like "don't use fullbright", "it's blocky!" and "use blend textures"

The only real issue I'm having is water - it doesn't seem to work properly. I've placed a no-draw textured brush in the area the water needs to be on the planet's surface and when I set the top texture as water, it's only visible when I'm under the surface - and for other textures, not at all!

I'm going to try cheap water first since it also cuts down the compile time. EP2 is about 85% downloaded on my Windows 7 box and then I'm going to reset the game configuration and plant some trees on the human planet.

Each of the RP planets is going to have basic RP map features like a police station, maybe some apartments, some houses, etc.

I'm also going to use fog to make clouds like on the grp_spacevoyage map and I'll try to squeeze in night and day modes on the planets. They won't quite sync up with night and day in SeriousRP since in that gamemode, 5 mins = 1 month but at least the effect should be quite nice.

Water is super easy Phil

All you do is just select water as a texture and make a block, it acts as a no draw so you don't need the initial nodraw block

I had this problem a lot too. You do have to make the initial block no draw and then add the water texture where you want it to be visible. It can be kind of annoying but it won't work otherwise. If you still have problems then you should check on the valve dev wiki they explain it really good.

Yeah - I'm following all the instructions - I had this problem under wine but now it's doing it in Windows, it must be something I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, I'm compiling the map now, I've deployed the 7 planet-base prefabs, the human planet is done (apart from precise transformer locations for GlobalRP and rocks) and I'm currently detailing the alien planet. I *think* I've solved the water issue. I've got my nodraw textured cube with the top surface textured as a water material, with my lod entity set up and cubemaps deployed all as normal but this time, I've converted the brush "toWorld" as - apparently, other than a leaking map, that can also trigger the problem I'm having. The map is definitely not leaking...

I'll see what happens when it has compiled. Hammer has stopped glitching out with fuzzy red areas now which is a good thing!

Last edited:
I would be honored if you guys could test the map with me once I'm ready to test it.

the first version will be srp_interstellar_v0a (version zero part a)

if I need to fix it, it will be _v0b and so on until v1 (or I might just drop the v1 part alltogether)

I just got the water working on the alien planet, it looks great :D

Fixing it on the human planet, now. There's lots of building space and open areas because I don't have any "starting platforms".

No, the honor is ours.

We are the PhilXYZ supporters as evident from the name of the website (Church of PhilXYZ).

I simply can't wait to see this awesome map of yours. I was planning on making a Stranded Mod that merges aspects of Stranded, Spacebuild and Stargate all into one. Sounded like a cool idea lol. Maybe this map would work great on it too.

No, the honor is ours.

We are the PhilXYZ supporters as evident from the name of the website (Church of PhilXYZ).

I simply can't wait to see this awesome map of yours. I was planning on making a Stranded Mod that merges aspects of Stranded, Spacebuild and Stargate all into one. Sounded like a cool idea lol. Maybe this map would work great on it too.

That sounds great! I played stranded once I think - "Stranded in Space" would be a great idea for a gamemode idea for someone to develop - I need to focus on SeriousRP if I want to get it done but maybe someone else could take that up as a challenge if it interests them! It would need a map with islands, etc.

As far as I know, nobody has built a Spacebuild map with RP planets so this will be a first in a way - I would like to also make it compatible with SB3 but it's not quite so easy and I need to find out nearer the release time if I want to do that.

Water is now fixed and looking great on both planets that have it, I'll fix the texture on the alien planet and then I can start working on the others. I'll probably do the barren ones next since they should be quite easy...

I just found out there is already a map called interstellar.

I'm going to rename mine srp_cosmos_sb2 and srp_cosmos_sb3

I'm working on the first RP planet (the small one) - any buildings you specifically want to see?

Hmm RP RP gotta think back to the good old days of darkrp....maybe you could make each planet a diff kind of planet and what I mean by that is make one industrial, one commerical, and one residential..so if that's the plan then maybe just put huge warehouses. But that's just me (I have a big feeling that py is going to say "o don't listen to him Phil")

Back